Dr. Spierings received his PhD degree as immunologist at the Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands and was subsequently recognized as SMBWO Immunologist by the Dutch Society for Immunology. His postdoctoral training was performed on minor H antigens in organ- and stem-cell transplantation in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. Els Goulmy, Leiden, The Netherlands. In 2008, he was appointed as lab director of the HLA laboratory of the University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands. In that position, he combines diagnostic histocompatibility testing with research.
His current scientific interest focusses on the role of indirect recognition of mismatched HLA in transplantation and on post-transplant immunomonitoring via Next Generation Sequencing of T- and B-cell receptors and immunoglobulins.
- Member of the European Federation for Immunogenetics
- Member of the Dutch Transplant Society
- Member of the Dutch Society for Immunology
- HLA working party The Netherlands
- HOVON SCT-HLA working party
- Editorial board: Cellular Immunology
Personal fellowships and awards received
2004-2007: Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Special Fellow